Web Search

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rugby Part 1

As you can see by my profile picture, I am quite interested in Rugby. I started playing it a year ago, and am into my second season. I play the 15 position, or Fullback.

I will break down the basic idea of Rugby for all of those people who might not know about it.

Terminology
  • Try: Basically, a score. A Try is worth 5 points
  • Scrum: A set play, called for by the referee on certain fouls, such as a knock-on. 9 players from each side are involved
  • Knock-On: When a player knocks, drops, or otherwise causes the ball to go forward.
  • Ruck: A Ruck is formed after a tackle, used by both teams to gain possession of the ball.
  • Line Out: A set play used after the ball is knocked or carried out of bounds. The teams Forwards line up on either side of an imaginary line, where the ball went out of bounds, and the possessing team's number 2 man throws it in.


This is a Rugby field. Man that is a lot of lines.Alright, now, as you can see there are goalposts on each side of the field, much like American Football. Unlike American Football, the goalposts are in in front of the "in-goal area". The field, otherwise is about the same size as a football field. A player can score by touching the ball down in the "in-goal area". This can be quite tricky, as the opposing team can hold the ball up, preventing you from getting your points.

More to come tomorrow :)

3 comments:

  1. this is a good way to describe rugby to americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the six nations? Check my blog out, i'll be reporting on as many games as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am, haha.

    Will do, I'm not sure I get the games (unless, of course, they're on BBCAmerica again).

    ReplyDelete